Friday, January 9, 2015

Five on Friday: 2015 goals and rambling

It's a new year!  Cannot believe it's 2015 already - but that means a new year and new goals.  So here we go!


THE GOOD LIFE BLOG 

Join the link up too with DarciAprilNatasha and Christina




I've been thinking a lot about this new year and reflecting on last year.  2014 - whew.  That was a booger.  If there was one word to describe 2014 for our family...it was CHANGE.  I had just finished my MBA at the end of 2013 AND accepted a brand new job AND found out we were 8 weeks pregnant.  Literally within 2 weeks of each other.  Talk about change.

On top of that, Jimmy got a new job - well 2 new jobs to be fair - but the one in the middle I'm not counting.  Thankful for his now job because it's amazing and he's rocking it.  But seriously.  Each of us getting new jobs AND meeting Miss Maddie on 4th of July and somewhat trying to see what our new normal looks like and feels like as a family of four.  Yep - 2014 was a bit of a cluster.  A wonderful and most of the time amazing cluster...but I'm happy that we're on the other side folks!  Because there were times when I wasn't sure we would make it through!!

So 2015....I've been thinking a lot about this lately and trying to figure out just what I want this year to be about for me and for our family.  And with all that happened in 2014, I often felt like I was all over the place.  Less organized, less calm, less focused.  I.e. ALL over the place most days.  Which given the small recap of our crazy year I just gave you, you can understand why I was all over the place.  But when I'm all over the place, that often times means my family is too.  So what is 2015 going to be about?

FOCUS.

I have been thinking a ton about one word that I want to define this year and I really think this is it.  So what I am going to focus on this year?  Well - that's what this five on Friday is for.

  
{ONE}

Focus on being a better parent.

As Charlie is getting older and sometimes a bit challenging as any 2.5 year old is, I feel like sometimes we just take the easy path and just say "yep, you can watch X movie for the 14th time" because to be honest - we are tired and spent and just want to sit for 3.5 seconds.  And while I'm absolutely not opposed to movies, it does make me think when he's waking me up in the middle of the night asking me to watch Frozen (yes, that happened in our hotel room in Iowa) - that he might watch a little too much of them.  While that is not the only example of where we might lack in parenting...that is one that sticks out to me.  And Jimmy and I have talked about this goal together.  To be present.  To give him options when he gets upset.  To listen to his feelings (as crazy as they might be).  To smile and laugh with Maddie.  To be patient with her when she might not want to go to sleep. The list could go on and on.  But I feel like this will be a pivotal year for how we help shape Charlie and we want to focus on that.

{TWO}

Focus to better myself.

I'm not going to lie. Up until this past Monday, I had not REALLY worked out (like a good sweat and at least 30 minutes intense) since before Charlie.  Charlie will be 2.5 years old at the end of January.  Seriously.  So yes, I can tell you excuse after excuse. Work was busy. I was getting my MBA at night.  I had a baby.  Then I had a 14 month old.  Then I was pregnant.  Then I had a new job and an infant and a....the list goes on.  The truth is - I just need to make to my priority.  Eating healthy and working out.  So that's what I've been doing for the last 4 days.  Jimmy and I are doing the 21 Day Fix eating plan together and I'm doing the accompanying work outs.  I am LOVING it.  It's wonderful for a Type A planner like myself and unlike any Beachbody program that I've done.  And I've done a handful of them for sure - but I love that this one is focused on nutrition first and gives you great tools and a fast timeframe and so far - fast results.  I'm making what we eat a priority and finding that it's crazy I didn't take 30 minutes to work out before - it's really not that hard.

That's the starting place for now on this goal.  Because guess what?  Part of this focusing - is me not doing 45 things at once like I normally do.  Easier said than done.  But that means, once I'm feeling like I'm in a happy place with how I feel about my body - then onto something new.  Next things would be improving my spiritual health.  But one thing at a time.

{THREE}

Focus on my marriage and my love, Jimmy.

He is always the one that is thrown to the end of the line.  When you have two kids (and three dogs) and a full time job - that happens.  Marriage is not easy at all, but as we approach our fifth year of marriage, I'm realizing it just has to be put as a priority - so here you go.  Focusing on him and us an what our relationship is and what that means.

Date nights.  Communication.  Good attitude.  Romantic gestures.  Kissing.

All the good stuff.


{FOUR}

Focus on professional development.

This one is a bit nerdy I admit, but now that I have been at my new company over a year and have a good handle on the daily tasks and my role...I want to start working on learning more about the industry (stock market).  Whether that is through keeping up to date with articles, reading a few books, attending conferences.  I feel like that is where I'm lacking right now at work and want to pick it up.

In addition- I do think I'm going to serve as a professional mentor to a student from my alma mater through a new program they have.  Sounds like a great way to give back that doesn't require a ton of my time but that I will really like!


{FIVE}

Finally- focus on one thing at a time in general.  

Can I tell you that sometimes I feel like I need to be doing 14 things at once?!  From laundry to emptying the dishwasher to changing a diaper to grocery shopping to budgeting to meal planning to ALL the wonderful house projects I would love to do.  It does seem quite overwhelming.  By I'm pushing that feeling aside in 2015.

My lists will still exist to keep me on track- but I will not feel bad about my lists or that everything isn't perfect all the time.  I will be ok with the fact my house isn't perfect.  That it's not always clean and the laundry isn't done.  But while I'm doing those things- including the really important stuff like spring time with my kiddos and husband and family/friends- I will focus on the present.  Not be stressed or mad about everything that is not done (which I totally do)- but really try to understand there is time for all those things...just not right now.


So there you have it.  5 things I want to focus on this year.  It is already off to a great start and I'm hoping it keeps getting better!!  Now I'm going to hold myself accountable to these items and report back mid year, so we shall see.

What are your goals or items to focus on in 2015??


P.S. these 3 are my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment