Friday, May 29, 2009
*Note this is long, so please only read if you are incredibly bored on a Friday afternoon and have a sliver of a sense of humor yet. And if this is not funny to you, I apologize. But as you can tell, I found it pretty hysterical because Jimmy was getting so angry.....
Jimmy: so I’m going to paint the guest room some sort of light blue and the1/2 bath down stairs I think the same gray as Lauren's
Sent at 2:56 PM on Friday
Brittany: I hate blue
Did you not read my blog?
Like you cannot be serious
Jimmy: I’m not wanting like baby blue
We already have a brown room, an orangish room, a light green, and a light yellow
And I don’t want to duplicate colors
So it’s either a red shade or blue shade
And I hate brown, but that doesn’t stop us from painting your room brown
Sent at 3:00 PM on Friday
Brittany: yeah well it goes along with our "theme" of earthtoned/warm colors
Jimmy: light blue goes with those colors babe
Brittany: I’m sorry I don't like that color
What about red on 2 walls and champagne on 2 walls
Jimmy: I’m sorry I don’t want the room two different colors
Just pick the color out, I don’t care what color it is
Brittany: no I like the 2 different colors
It would be awesome
Brittany: my parent’s basement is 2 different colors
Yes it is
Jackie’s room is that color
We were just discussing it
I think it sounds really awesome
Jimmy: I think its sounds horrible I'm sorry I just think 2 colors is bad news
Brittany: no it's not
Why do you like that?
Jimmy: like what? Blue?
Red and champagne color
Jimmy: I don’t deny that they go together, we just are not painting that room two different colors
Why not? My parent’s basement is like that
Do you think that looks bad?
Jimmy: no I just don’t like it. Just like you don’t like blue I don’t like two different colors, surely we can find a compromise
I want blue you want red and champagne. Compromise= shade of red
Brittany: on ALL the walls? That will be a nightmare to paint
It will bleed through like crazy
We can do champagne on the walls and then red/champagne bed spread
Jimmy: no it won’t
Brittany: we'll have to paint it like 4 times
Yes Jackie painted her 2 walls red and she had to use 1.5 gallons of paint
Jimmy: no two times max
Brittany: no freaking way
You are wrong this time
Jimmy: god damn you are really pissing me off, are you purposely arguing with me on every point?!?!? argh
Brittany: no I'm not
I just think we need to think of that stuff more
I want to do an organish color in the man cave
And get some sweet pillows
Not on the wood paneling
But on the small part you can paint
Jimmy: ya that’s fine. I’m fine with that.
So then back to the guest room
I think we do 2 walls red or all champagne
I’m not a fan of blue at all
Jimmy: I say we do all walls a shade of red
Brittany: I’m sorry it just doesn't go with the "warm" color theme of our house
Ok that's fine
I mean it's going to be a bitch to paint
And a little overwhelming probably
Jimmy: how is light blue not "warm"
And who defines "warm"
Brittany: blue is a "cool" color
Have you EVER studied the color wheel?
Jimmy: whats brown then?
Is brown warm?
Brittany: there are warm and cool colors this is widely known
Jimmy: yes I know, but what is brown?
Brown is technically not a "color"
Jimmy: ohhhh how clever of you to mess up our "warm" theme with a "non color"
Brittany: well it's a mixture of warm colors
Jimmy: our kitchen isn’t a warm color either
Green is "cool"
Brittany: yeah but it can qualify as "earthtone" because it matches the brownish
Blue is sky- but isn't in nature
So it doesn't go
Jimmy: omg @!!@!}
Light blue, light green and poop brown all go together!
Sent at 3:17 PM on Friday
Jimmy: what about a dark orange?
Sent at 3:21 PM on Friday
Brittany: eh maybe
Jimmy: whatever just pick the color
I don’t even care
Brittany: I’m posting this convo to my blog
I’m sorry I started laughing so hard I was crying
Jimmy: I knew you were doing this to piss me off
You’re just being ridiculous about blue
Brittany: no it's just so funny
I really don't like blue though
Jimmy: I DONT LIKE BROWN!
But that’s the color of my bedroom now!
Feels like I’m surrounded by poop. poop poop poop all around me and you love it. I don’t get it. Brown isn’t even a color
Now if those last 3 sentences don't make you laugh, you mush have had a really bad week. Poor Jimmy---feels as though he's surrounded by poop in his future bedroom. HAHAHAHA
The majors on the wish list include (but are not limited to):
- Remodeling the master bath! This is what we can call an "economy sized" bathroom---meaning SMALL. Now, I might be biased because in my condo I had tons of counter space to get ready and storage to put all my bathroom stuff (most of which just sat there, so maybe it is a good thing....). So now I am stuck trying to make do and have a positive attitude that I have a master bath at all. BUT......thanks to the government- my dreaming can now become a reality. Wouldn't this be great!? Found this picture on HGTV for a small bathroom remodel and I love it! This would entail ripping out all the current pink/peach tile in the bathroom, knocking down the half wall that semi-encloses the shower (that I really wonder every time I get in the shower why it was put in originally), re-tile, put up new glass doors...get a non-wood window (yes- we have a wood window in the shower. what brilliant person thought of that is something I would love to know), and get a new vanity. So I'm sure that our finished product will not look like this....but it doesn't hurt to dream right?
- Updated landscaping...aka ripping out the rotting, old, gross railroad ties that currently dominate our landscaping! This project work will be courtesy of the wonderful Mr. Roger Bruns. He has signed up for this as his part-time job. While he will not be receiving monetary compensation for his labor, we will be paying for the materials and I will supply him with the meals during any "meal-time" he is working. That's a fair trade, right? Here is a little glimpse of his vision.....he just loves the catalog from Home Depot with these in it. Gotta love a dad that is willing to put in some sweat and tears for the beauty of a front and back yard!!
- New counter tops. Hmmmm..if you know me, you probably know I'm more of a neutral/earth tone color person (hence that I would claim brown as my favorite color). So when I tell you that the kitchen counter tops in our new house are blue----you will probably shriek (note: I tried to warn you so you wouldn't shriek if you are reading this @ work). Obviously, changing that immediately is at the top of the list as well. Our vision is black granite....and what a vision that would be with our light wood cabinets, new black hardware, and freshly painted light green walls. I know, I know.....we are truly design visionaries. Now I'm wondering this: do we do a fun back splash or just run the granite all the way up??? Here are 2 examples. I think I'm partial to the fun back splash.........
Needless to say, I'm sure you are just oozing with excitement for the house and all the fun projects that will be happening this summer (well in 8-12 wks....let's hope 8 and that the IRS turn around is efficient). If you are ever bored on a weekend and want something to do, call me or Jimmy and I'm sure we can find some manual labor for you :) Obviously- I am kidding. I'm more excited for everyone to come over after the completion and enjoy it with us!! Yeah for the weekend!
Thursday, May 28, 2009
They are LOVING the new house. I am really thinking that Willy is going to lose some major weight because he runs all over the backyard chasing squirrels along the top of the fence and barking at birds that decide to take a break from flying within his viewing range (which is quite limited at times). Milly is freaking adorable when she prances around the yard. The cutest thing was when Emily came over to see the house. We went into the backyard and Milly was over in the corner and Emily yelled her name..her ears perked up and she pranced/bounced/lept across the yard (call it what you please) to see her!! My dogs are just such little love givers!!
The one thing they are having to learn is how to handle the neighbors black lab "sharing" the west side of the fence. They seem to be a little territorial (no really?!) of their new yard and bark every time they hear the dog on the other side. There is a little slot that you can see through and their dog is freaking adorable and harmless- as well as he never barks, so I'm sure the neighbors just love Milly and Willy as an addition to the sounds of nature that they hear every so often. Don't worry, I'll have Jimmy pull a Ceaser Millan soon and dog whisper them back into shape.
Milly found a new "hiding" spot in Lauren's room too---sandwiched between a pillow and a blanket on the floor next to her desk. On Monday night, when it was time to go to bed I couldn't find her anywhere! I was freaking out and yelling her name all around the house and outside to come...but she was nowhere to be found. Jimmy, my dad, and I started looking everywhere and I kept getting these horrible images of little Miss Milly lost in the neighborhood!! But then I went into Lauren's room and found her nestled underneath the blanket....looking at me like life for her was just great. So now I know where to look when I can't find her!!!
Willy just really enjoys staring out the front and back windows and doors. Like I said- we need some dog whisperer talents to come out because he barks at EVERYTHING it seems!
Overall, we have adjusted to our new home and gotten into the daily routine again just in a new location. They love Lauren and I swear, by the time she moves out she's going to want to buy a wiener dog :)
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
To quickly recap the action packed weekend, I'll break the activities into days:
Thursday after work-
- Carpet stretcher guy comes over to stretch the upstairs carpets
- Jimmy shampoos all the carpets!
- I begin to tape the living room for painting
- Vanessa and her mom come over for the pre-walk through (meaning they are in for a shock with they see the after!)
- I almost has a heart attack because she gets a call they might not close tomorrow
- Everyone is relieved to hear that we will close on Friday :)
- Jimmy and I went to St. Joe to set up time with the parish secretary...when we got there we were immediately put in separate rooms and took a 170 question scantron test on getting married. Needless to say, 30 minutes later we walked out of our respective rooms laughing at some of the questions, but satisfied with our choice to get married.....so whew what a sigh of relief :) Hopefully Father Mike says that we "passed"
- Next up is our FIRST trip to Home Depot of the weekend....we got tape and stuff to paint (I think). I have to admit I don't really remember this trip. Seems like years ago now!
- Picked up our table and chairs at my parents house and then off to Aquinas because of course, we forgot the key to the house and my mom had it (so responsible)
- We arrive at the house and anxiously await the AT&T people to arrive to install our cable and internet!! The excitement of was killing us. Needless to say, that was also shot down about 4 hours later when my mom called us to say that the lady determined finally that our house was 4800 ft away from the hub and you can only be 3000.....so tell me this AT&T.....why did you list our address as having service "available" in your availability tracker and then waste 4 hours of your technicians time determining that 4800 just doesn't equal 3000. We're not bitter or anything :) But after being cable/internet-less for 5 days....I'm so excited for tomorrow morning and Time Warners arrival!
- About 1:00 Jimmy and Dan Heble head off to get our fridge we bought from my mom's co-worker. They were all muscles...and then Heble expertly switched the doors around to my liking---he is welcome to bring beer over and put it in that fridge any time he wants now!
- 2:30------we head off to the bank to get the cashiers check and then to Chicago Title to close! That was an exciting 40 minutes of signing our life away
- In the mean time, my wonderful mom has been at the house starting to paint the living room. It looks great Barb :)
- The troops all begin to arrive at our house and the painting parties begin!!! Living room, dining room, master bedroom, and Lauren's bedroom and closet were all completed on Friday---and Lauren you did an excellent job of painting the closet!! **I'd hire you any day!!
- 11:30- we call it a night and head out
- Bright and early Jimmy arrives at the house to do another coat of paint in the dining room and master bedroom. He is a very particular painter I have learned.
- Lauren and Karel arrive to finish up painting her room
- My dad and I take a load of my stuff over and then are off to get the Uhaul!
- Dale, David, Jimmy, my dad, and myself load the truck with all my stuff (there was a lot) and then we are off to the new house to unload it---they were like professional movers! I was very impressed!!!
- The boys head over to Lauren's house to pick up all her stuff and then finish unloading that about 1:00
- Mrs. Carter arrives with lunch (everyone is starving at this point) and then the wall paper stripping in the kitchen is kicked off
- Truck is returned and unpacking/wall paper stripping continues..........the we move on to Lauren's bathroom and the 1/2 bath downstairs and prime the kitchen in the mean time
- Jimmy and I make about our 4th trip to Home Depot- more paint and a light fixture for the bathroom and then go to Heble's house to pick up an amazing grill that his dad gave us!!
- We go to the grocery store and get food for everyone to eat as a thanks for helping out
Dinner is devoured on the new table that was such a great Craigslist purchase!!!
- I head over to my parents and get some stuff that I forgot and then I pass out of exhaustion.....
- We head to HyVee for breakfast then off to Carter Glass to clean
- I search craigslist for a dryer because we are in desperate need! I find one that was posted that morning @ 9:30 in Shawnee for $75 and call the guy---after we leave downtown we go pick it up!!
- Back to Home Depot for kitchen and bathroom paint and other stuff......but I can't remember what
- Jimmy rips me away from painting and we head over to his cousin's graduation party!
- My parents, sister, and her boyfriend come over to grill steaks...thankfully my mom prepared everything @ her house. Our kitchen was not in "cooking" order quite yet with stuff still everywhere!!
- We paint the kitchen.......
- I stay up late after everyone leaves and Jimmy falls asleep to finish priming the bathroom so Lauren can eventually shower there!!
- Up bright and early again, Jimmy does another coat in the kitchen
- Pretty sure we went to Home Depot again.....for who knows what
- Painting commences on the bathroom and my dad and Jimmy work on the yard---mowing and weed wacking
- I attempt to organize my closet and run to Wal-Mart/Lowes
- New shower head is installed in the master bath with actual water pressure
- Clean up of the kitchen/bathroom take place
- My dad continues to work- he's running new cable to the living room for the TV there
- I hit up the grocery store for essentials (including dog food- Willy would NOT be happy with me if he did not get his daily meals......)
- Then I finally have to ask him to leave because it's 10:00 and about an hour past my bedtime on a weeknight :)
- Oh it didn't stop with the weekend..........I know you thought I was done :)
- My dad is @ the house right at 4:30 when I get home from work...he keeps going on running the cable line how he likes
- I head over to my parents to get more stuff, then out to Nebraska Furniture Mart to meet Jimmy
- We decide on a couch and oversized chair/chaise lounge that we like for the "man cave" and get it----delivered June 3........with the fabric protection plan. Unfortunately with 3 dogs, I'm not sure how long the it will stay clean. So unlimited cleanings for 5 years and one replacement if necessary...SOLD
- I head back home to help my dad.........he leaves @ 9:30 with the promise to be back again tomorrow.
Overall, the house is coming along with still lots to do, but I love it!!! And Milly and Willy and Toby do too---Toby did decide to run away on his first visit, but what can you do. He did turn 5 on Monday.....so let's hope his maturity level has increased so he's a bit more calm. Needless to say I think I need another weekend to come ASAP. TGIW
Thanks also to everyone who came over to see the house :) It was great to see you and we can't wait to have you over when it's a little more put together!!!!
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
I got my island! Just picture NO BLUE anywhere :)
And Jimmy got his wood paneling...in his "George Brett" room
Saturday, May 2, 2009
We're getting married @ 2PM at St. Joe Catholic church on Johnson Drive in Shawnee, which is the church that Jimmy and his family attend, which also houses the grade school that he and all his brothers went to and his mom is currently the prinicpal of! It's great to get married somewhere with some much history and meaning!
Our reception will be in the Commons area at St. Thomas Aquinas...where Jimmy went to High School, my mom works as an academic counselor, and where Jimmy and I first locked eyes across the gym in 2003. Again- we're very excited to celebrate this exciting day there!!!!
Check out our website on the knot for future updates...there are still LOTS of details to be determined (including the wedding party!!! can't wait to ask them!!!) and we'll make sure to keep that website updated as it gets closer to the big day. According to the knot....only 343 more days!
The evidence in the garage....
Willy after the incident...
Willy is my chunky little dog whom I love no matter what...except for the fact that when he gets really fat, it puts a strain on his back and then he has problems walking because of his back :( If we don't continue to monitor his weight and what/when we feed him, his back could go out which means we would be faced with the decision of a $4000 surgery to correct it or the most horrible thing ever..I can't even type it. So you can see why I'm so crazy about making sure he doesn't overeat and gets exercise!!!Since my condo is no longer mine and we won't close on our new house (yes- we FINALLY got it) until May 22, my dogs and I have moved in with Barb and Roger!! So now I have 4 weiner dogs to greet me every time I walk in the door! My mom and I were sitting in the family room watching 90210 a few weeks ago and we had 3 of the dogs sitting with us, but Willy was no where to be found. I thought I heard some whining, so we looked for him in the basement, the laundry room, upstairs, the library, and my parents bedroom but he was no where to be found!! I just figured I was hearing things. I sit back on the couch and hear the whining again---and am like "MOM--where the heck is Willy!??". So I open the door that goes out to the garage and see him sitting there. I tell him sorry and have him come lay with me. We go to bed, with Milly of course, after the show and I forget about the whole thing.
The next morning I wake up to my alarm and see Willy laying on his back next to my pillow. His stomach looks HUGE but I he's pretty fat, so I figured I was just looking at it differently. He starts acting weird and doesn't run outside immediately to go to the bathroom....but what really set me off is when I got the dog food out to feed him. Ususally he is jumping up and down, running around in circles in excitement for that moment when that 1/2 cup of dog food goes into his bowl and he consumes it in like 15 seconds...only to be waiting until 4:30PM rolls around (his 2nd and final meal of the day). This morning...I put the food in the bowl and he doesn't even react. He sniffs the food and doesn't even eat it. At this point, I FREAK out because if you have ever seen this dog eat...you would be too. I lay him on the floor in the family room and feel his huge stomach and it's just ridiculously large and Willy's demeanor is very lethargic. I get my dad to take a look and he says it looks weirdly big.
Then a light bulb goes off in my head as I was running through what he might have gotten into. BAM- The garage last night!! When I moved back home I had 1/4 of a bag of dog food left and it was left on the floor of the garage....so I run out there and see it on the ground, half open (but remarkably, there is still food remaining). That was it. Willy's dream came true! He got the chance to eat as much dog food as he wanted too....and now he was so stuffed he was completely miserable. Jimmy and I have had many discussions about "what if" this ever happened...would Willy EVER stop eating? Or would he eat until he exploded? I'm happy to say that we have the answer and proof...he did stop eating..which means he might have an ounce of reason in that little dog brain of his!