Friday, February 10, 2017

{last} Weekend fun and daycare move

We had a fun and buys weekend (again!).  And I'm finally just posting about it...now that the next weekend is here.  Just go with it - it's been one of those weeks for sure.

And in other news - I FINALLY think I figured out a fast and easy way to get the pictures from my phone to my blog - wahoo!!!  Jimmy has been sad that I have slowed down blogging, so here ya go, babe!  Back at it.  And be prepared for Christmas recaps - ha :)  Oh and a 2.5 year old and 4.5 year old post that I owe to my oldest two babes.

Ok, back to last weekend.

Friday night was filled with neighbors, pizza, movies, playing and bundt cakes (thanks to Christine - totally ruining any chance of healthy eating that night! ha!).

Here's the thing - we are busy.  We all are.  We are tired.  Lots of times, Friday rolls around and we just want to sit there.  However, I told Jimmy that we need to continue to spend time with our friends, neighbors.  Charlie had been talking about Kate (his bff and neighbor) and we haven't seen them in a few months - so I texted their mom and BOOM.  A date was made.  Kids played, adults chatted and it was a fun and easy night with paper plates.  No frills and just how we liked it.  She and I both mentioned, it was good for our souls and while it's hard to take time to do these things, how important it is.  So glad we got together!!  Anyone else seem to struggle with actually setting up plans and getting together?!?

Watching a movie that Emma brought over - the only time they were sitting down!


The next morning was filled with CHAOS.  Workout, shower, pack up backs, pack healthy snacks and then we were OFF to gymnastics and then basketball.  In good news, Maddie is doing better at gymnastics and Charlie at basketball - an hour is a little long (he loses interest about 40 minutes in!), but we are getting there!

ROAD trip snacks!! 





When we got to Wichita, we headed straight to Lauren and David's house and because David knows just what Jimmy likes - he had the KU game DVRed.  Needless to say, the result was not in Jimmy's favor (lost to ISU), but David was super nice to DVR it AND delay himself watching the K-State game (which ended in a win!).  And I think it's safe to say that our kiddos are converted to KU fans.  They couldn't get enough!





We had some delicious tacos (made my Lauren - thank you for always being the most gracious hostess!) and then lots more time to play and watch basketball and just hang out.  Love nights like these.  When it was time for baths and bed time, our kiddos couldn't get enough of Landon.  For real.  They followed David into the bathroom and sat there while he got a bath and then Maddie spent like 5 minutes drying his hair.  HA.  So cute!


The night was well...interesting.  Ha.  Jimmy slept in one bed with Maddie and I slept with Charlie with Mikey on the floor in the dock a tot.  Poor Mikey didn't nap well, so come 12AM, he wanted to party.  And it's bad enough that he rarely does this, but worse when it's not at your house.  I sat in bed with him for like 45 min and then found Jimmy and handed him over.  They stayed up and watched TV for a bit until he woke up angry and wanted to eat!  Not the best sleep, but worth the trip.

Charlie was up at 6AM and we all got in our Sunday best to head to the doughnut shop downtown Wichita to have Ali take Mikey's 6 month pictures.  We had to reschedule because she couldn't make it to KC the day we originally scheduled because of weather, but after the shoot (while we had a few meltdowns - as expected), I'm SOOOO excited to see the pictures.  Sweet Mikey got a few by himself and then we had some adorable ones with everyone loving on him!

We grabbed some doughnuts for the Hart crew and headed back to hang out and pack up.  And then we had to snag this picture of this crew - they are so cute!


The drive back wasn't as easy as the drive there...the way there, the kids were zonked out almost the whole way because they had gymnastics and basketball before, so we only had to make one stop.  This time we were making a stop like 20 minutes into the drive.  Seriously, kids and their bladders!!!

But overall, it was uneventful and we made a quick stop at Aldi for groceries on our way back into town and then had my parents and sister/BIL over to eat for the Superbowl.  By the way - after all that's gone down...I'm a Lady Gaga fan.  

Monday came with some BIG milestones for all the kids too!

Mikey:
 Finally out of his dock a tot and I'm happy to report the transition went great!!  I was guessing he would do fine - which I'm glad I guessed right.  This wasn't really planned - but more out of necessity because I washed the dock a tot cover when we got home and it was still line drying, so just decided to do it!!  He is a tummy sleeper for sure, but still sleeping good!


Big kids:
Third daycare center move in three years.

yep, you read that right.  Are we the worst parents, or what?!?  But hear me out.  The first school that we moved from, it was because I had a very bad experience with the owner and the way she handled the situation did NOT sit well with me.  Nothing relating to the well being of our kiddos, but she was VERY sketchy financially and when I questioned something - immediately went on the defense.  Not a good sign if you ask me, especially when child care is the largest expense we have each month, I wanted to feel great about who was getting that money and how they were using it.  So we moved in August 2015.  The next school we were at (and just left) was FANTASTIC.  We loved it because it was very laid back and we loved the Montessori classrooms.  Charlie and Maddie both loved the structure of their days and the teachers and friends.  It was a little further from our house (but seriously, like 12 minutes away versus 6...so still not far), but the price was right and we felt good there.  We even referred several friends there and stick by that referral.

So why the move?  Well, Charlie will be 5 this summer and while we are not sending him to kindergarten yet (his bday is July 31), I have been thinking a lot about when he is there and how to manage this whole "kids in school" thing.  You know - summers, winter breaks, days off for conferences, holidays, in services, you name it.  I feel like at least once or twice a month, the girls that I work with are having to take off work or arrange child care for their school aged kids - let alone the stress of finding something for the summer.  I know, I know, most people are like "just get a nanny".  But that's not how it works because at most day care centers where we live, you can't just take 2 months off and they will hold your spot...so then you'd be paying double.  Anyways, after thinking about it and talking with a friend that has kids the same age and had moved to this other center last year (after being at the other two with us), I decided we needed to just go tour Primrose.  It has the before/after school care option if we want that, they have summer programs for kids 5-12 and are open on most days that the schools are closed (minus major holidays).  I had a feeling when we went to look, we'd love it.  So it came down to price - as you know, three kids in day care ain't cheap :)  But to my surprise, the price was VERY comparable and just a few dollar more than we were paying for month.  So we decided to do it.  It's crazy because looking back, there wasn't a whole lot of debate to it.  I was so so sad to tell our old school goodbye - as were our kiddos.  They were excited for lots of reasons for a new school and have done great this week!  But five days in, I think it's settling in that this is "forever".  You know like when you first start work out of college and the honeymoon period is over.  HA.  Drop offs have gone well and they are loving the activities and all the fun centers that they do during the day. I'm loving the pictures we get too because it makes the "how was school?" conversation at pick up a whole lot easier when I can ask them at least about stuff I saw them doing throughout the day.  Plus, Charlie is in the same class as his friend Addie and another Charlie, so it has been a good transition for him.

I'm also really glad these two have each other.  They are best beds and inseparable, so the thought of Charlie getting to come back here with him sister (and Mikey - we will probably move him from his awesome in home when he turns 2) once he's in school, makes me really really happy.

I love them and how adaptable they are.  And while yes, I feel back for moving them, but we talked about it a lot and prepared them as much as we could.  And I'd say they rocked it.  And looked damn good doing it :)



Now if they could just keep sleeping at night - but I guess with every transition, something has got to give!!

So there you have it - our fun last weekend road trip (can't wait to get our pics we took with Ali) AND all my deep thoughts and reasoning into why we moved our kids AGAIN!

4 comments:

  1. Yes! It's so hard to actually make and keep plans, we need to be much better about it! Tell me your blog secrets, pleeeeeeeease!!? Why are you guys not sending Charlie to Kinder this year? Just not ready? Just curious because I see more and more people do that. I'm glad you found a new place for the olders to go to and the transition went smooth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I was curious about how old Charlie was. Now that you mentioned his birthday, I am happy to share with you that he and Connor will start Kindergarten the same year. Connor has a late birthday, October, so this Fall he will be in Pre-K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking into some childcare options for next school year for Livy. She'll be 17 months next Aug. I've heard great things about Primrose. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Britni - we really like it so far. The classrooms are awesome and the structure of it is really seeming to help our kiddos - lots of play paired with learning :) Maddie is having more trouble adjusting because she was used to being in the older room at Canterbury, but she will be in the preschool room come August, so I think she will love it even more!!! Let me know when you start to look more and we can chat!!

      Delete