Friday, February 4, 2011

Date night #6 - BARBIES and fried chicken!

In keeping our romance alive, we are sticking with surprise dates in 2011. So to follow up Surprise Date #5, it was Jimmy's turn in January to plan it. All I was told was be ready at 10:30AM on Saturday morning. Well, of course that was pushed back to 11:30 because I wanted to go to my 9AM work out class and Jimmy wasn't going to say no to a work out....so at 11:30AM, we headed to "around 50th and Brookside Blvd". Ok, so that was my only clue and I kept thinking where we could be going. The only thing that I could remember around there was UMKC, but I was hoping that he wasn't taking me to class :)

And no he wasn't taking me to that....it was a MUCH better surprise!! The Toy and Miniature Museum of KC!! Barbie turned 50 this year and there was a special exhibit that Jimmy found online and knew I'd love so he wanted to take me to see it. How freaking thoughtful is that? I loved it so much!!



We did saunter around the whole museum first before making it to the Barbie exhibit upstairs. They have some amazing stuff and full of so much history! It's crazy how detailed and small some of the doll houses and dolls are. It was so neat to see some of the doll houses that were made to mimic the little girl who played in them's real home. AHH! I wanted all of them and was just walking around wishing for a little girl someday thinking of all the fun we could have - haha!

But then when we finally made it upstairs. OH-MY-GOODNESS. Even at 25, I was still in complete heaven. I blogged previously about the Barbie Room that my sister and I had growing up, so you have some clue how much I love Barbies. And this was amazing. From all about Barbie, her last name, hometown and family members...there was so much to see! And they had lots of historical Barbies on display, which is awesome and hilarious at the same time because I went through each display case and pointed out to Jimmy which ones my sister and I had. And there were SO many. Some include, Doctor Barbie, Rollerblade Barbie (Lyndsay remember how her rollerblades sparked!!?), Baywatch Barbie, Pizza hut Skipper and her boyfriend....oh and the list goes on. In this picture that I snapped with my cell phone, they had a car that we still have with removable seat belts. Pictures were not allowed, so I'm sorry for breaking the rules...but I didn't show you the whole exhibit...just a few shots to hopefully get you to go see it for yourself for only $7!!


There is Baywatch Barbie on her jetski...and there is Olympic Barbie, which we had too :) Oh, I was in complete heaven and loved it so much. How fun and what a great celebration!!


At the end of the exhibit, there was a spot where you could write about your personal Barbie story and hang it on the wall with other folks. It was so cute to see all the stories and how Barbie and her friends had a part of their life. From a 5 year old to a 12 year old and even a 55 year old wrote about it! So of course I had to partake in the fun!


Then we headed to lunch at Stroud's in Fairway. An odd lunch choice since Jimmy is not a big fan of fried chicken, but he apparently heard me loud and clear because I kept saying "wow we haven't had Stroud's in a long time...". Boy it was a LOT of food, but it was so delicious! Needless to say, if you see the boxes in the left of the picture below, you will see that we didn't even come close to eating it all...but it made for some good left overs!


That concluded the date day....but then at 5:30PM we headed to Nara for the KU/K-State basketball game and happy hour there with Bobby and Hillary and had a great time. Luckily sushi is pretty light eating because we were both so stuffed from the earlier lunch!! After that we headed to the Blue Moose for more basketball until I dragged him home :) It was good for him....he needed to get ready for his first day of work on Monday so that means some good rest on Saturday!!!

Thanks for a great date Jimmy! Can't wait for the next one...I already have some VERY fun plans!




No comments:

Post a Comment