Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Slow progress: outdoor sectional

Remember when I told you that I was going to build an outdoor sectional for our downstairs back patio???  Well, believe it or not, I actually have been working on it, slowly but surely.  Here was my first update and then this post about Jimmy’s outfit was really a trip to Home Depot for us to buy all

the lumber for it.  38 different 1X4’s that were 8 ft each totaled to $83.  So with the lumber and the screws that I bought, I thinking this total project cost and cost of the sectional will be under $100.  We’ll see if that happens.  Oops, actually that’s a lie.  I just remembered that I will need to buy cushions or make them and pillows.  Yep, it will be over $100.  My new goal is keep it under $250??  That sounds a little more reasonable.

Anyway…check out all that lumber that was cut based on some very handy math and division performed by yours truly while my man made the cuts.  On a machine.  But I cannot tell you what machine.  Confidential information that you cannot know. 


Well, in the past few weeks, it has gone from that wood to a few of the pieces.  I finally tried to build a corner/arm piece (I need 3 of those total) and came out with this beauty.  I look gross, so just ignore me, but I was really happy with the end result if you cannot tell because it was actually sturdy!!


So here is a view of it from a few different angles.  And on the bottom row, there is the armless piece.  This was my practice one so it’s a little unsteady and will not be used – but you get the point.  I have gotten pretty fast at building these little puppies thanks to the corner clamps (see the middle below) and Jimmy’s wonderful cordless drill (right below).  I think I can get it done now in like 20 minutes.  It’s sweet.





























While I still have a ways to go – at least I’m making some progress.  I’m thinking painting them a fun color and coordinating them with the pillows/cushions.  Can’t wait for a little party when this is finally done!!

In case you were wondering.  Here is what my wonderful husband and the dogs were doing when I was busy slaving away in the hot sun…relaxing and drinking beer.  Are you surprised at all?? 



No comments:

Post a Comment