Tuesday, October 12, 2010

30 meals, 1 day = success

So cooking. Some people love it, some people hate it. Some people have plenty of time for it, while some people don't. But really, everyone has to eat. A month or so ago, I went to Social Suppers in Corinth Square with some friends from work, which is a great place that you can go and pay for some meals and then you put them together with the ingredients that they lay out. You stick all the ingredients in freezer bags, slap on a label with the cooking instructions and stick it in the freezer. I got us 6 meals and it was so wonderful! It was so easy to plan dinner for the week because I just had to take the bags out of the freezer, let them thaw, and then you have everything ready to cook.

While I loved it, doing that on a weekly basis didn't really fit into our food budget, so I set out to find a new option. That was when I found a book on amazon entitled 30 meals in one day that has everything you could ever need to learn how to cook exactly what it says, 30 meals in one day :) I was determined to try it. So last Saturday, I picked out the recipes, organized a grocery list, when shopping....and got everything set up and ready. Sunday morning, I woke up bright and early and set off to start cooking. Here was the set up:


All the ingredients all over the kitchen island.


Meat- and LOTS of it. Lots of pork ribs, pork chops, even more ground beef and even MORE chicken!


Cooking some chicken!


Love this book.......I have even passed it onto a friend already!

The best part was that I got the opportunity to be super organized :) I made labels, set out the ingredients and set off to cook it all!


The other side of the dining room. All the labels and food ready to go!





More food in the kitchen.


My first freezer meal in the freezer bags and labeled---off to the freezer!


YUM chicken. Half way done :)


In full force. 2 crock pots, the oven going and cooking on the stove top. Dogs were waiting for anything that drops.


All right, keeping it going.


And....I'M DONE!


Loving it! Tired after 8 hours of cooking, but happy to not have to cook for a month!


This is what Jimmy did all day......hmmmmm


This was my reaction to it :) Haha. Well, he did carry all the freezer bags downstairs for me, so I guess that was nice.

We had our first meal tonight- taco soup- and it was delicious! Just put it in the fridge to let it defrost and then heated it up and enjoyed it! Probably about 10 minutes to heat it up. After that, I'm officially in love. Also, it will be nice to not have to go to the grocery store all the time. So overall, we couldn't be happier------I don't have to cook every night, we save money, and we can eat healthy!

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to try that!! It's not an easy task cooking dinner every night with 2 toddlers pulling at your heels!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom used to do dream dinners (like the same as social suppers?!) Anyways, it was awesome... I wish I could do this- but we only have a mini fridge :)

    ReplyDelete