Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Breakfast is served

It's no secret that I love breakfast. I like to cook it and LOVE to eat it. And guess what? It's a pretty important meal because it gets you going for the rest of the day :) I really think my love for breakfast mainly stems from my dad. My dad always ate breakfast - the same thing - every morning when I was growing up. And he still does. One bowl of Rice Krispies and one bowl of Rice Chex. Every morning. This pure act might also be a large region of my love for routine. And...I digress...but off topic, isn't it interesting how you see things in your parents and now realize that might be the reason you are the way you are?

Ok, onto the point (there is one)! I love eating eggs for breakfast and for awhile, I would wake up 2 hours before work, take a shower, make 2 fried eggs, a piece of wheat toast and a cup of coffee...grab the paper and enjoy. Sounds nice, right? Well, it seems with my life filling up and especially since I work out for an hour in the morning- that nice "let me just relax before I go to work" time is now gone. Plus, I absolutely hate the extra time it takes to clean up the pans, etc. So I've had to start eating in the bathroom a bowl of cereal in between putting on make up and doing my hair. Not fun or as delicious as my eggs. And here I go again, looking for exactly what I want, but more efficient. Yep, it exists, thanks to Hungry Girl.

Her recipes are delicious, fast and healthy. I have a few of her cookbooks and all the recipes are great! Well, I present to you:



PER SERVING (entire recipe): 122 calories, 0.75g fat, 702mg sodium, 6g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 2.5g sugars, 21.5g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 3*

The flavor in this mug is a MILE HIGH! Get it, because, you know, Denver is the Mile-High City? OK, we'll stop now.


Ingredients:
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 tbsp. chopped onion
1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
1 oz. (about 2 slices) 97 - 98% fat-free ham, chopped
2 tbsp. shredded fat-free cheddar cheese

Directions:
Spray a large microwave-safe mug with nonstick spray. Add veggies and microwave for 1 - 2 minutes, until softened.

Blot any excess liquid from veggies. Add egg substitute and microwave for 1 minute.

Add ham and cheese and lightly stir. Microwave for an additional 45 - 60 seconds, until scramble is just set.

Let cool slightly, and then eat up!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Ok, Jimmy thinks the egg in a mug is a freaky concept, but I promise you it is SOOOO delicious and fast and easy. I have also added some avocado to the top of it and boy that is oh so good. The best part? It takes so little time (under 2.5 min total) and is so easy. I have tried using a big mug a few times and then a few times in a tupperware container. The other best part? The fact that it is 122 calories and full of 21.5 grams of protein....so that leaves me full much longer in the morning...and quick and easy clean up! Anyways, if you are looking for a fast/easy but delicious breakfast - check out the link for the recipe and there are lot different varieties that I'm looking forward to trying out!

And- you can sign up for Hungry Girl's daily emails if you are interested as well :) Happy breakfast eating!!


1 comment:

  1. Love this idea.
    I've been looking for quick things to eat for breakfast that don't require me to start up my stove.

    ReplyDelete