Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Visit from Iowa family!!


So I have blogged a few times about our trips to Iowa in the past few years to visit my dad's family, including my grandparents, 2 aunts, 2 uncles, and 4 cousins, check them out here and here...or lack there of a trip here.  But it's a rare occasion when we are so lucky to have them come visit Kansas City!  

A few weekends ago, my mom mentioned to me that my grandparents were feeling good and going to make a trip down to Kansas City to stay at my parents house.  My uncle and aunt, Denny and Sandy, were so wonderful to drive them down here - as it's about a 6 hour drive!!  They came in on Tuesday and stayed Tuesday and Wednesday night before heading back home on Thursday.  Well my week nights are pretty limited this summer with class on Monday and Wednesdays for 2.5 hours, so I was happy when my mom asked if they could all come over to our house for dinner on Tuesday night to see all the changes that my dad, Jimmy and I have been hard at work on.  Of course, I had a meeting that night from 5-5:30 at work that I had to be at, but they were still flexible and came over right at 6 and they met me at the door when I pulled in :)

It was so great to get to see them and walk them through our house!  My grandpa has been pretty sick, which was why they couldn't make it to our wedding, so it was AMAZING to see him up and moving around and feeling pretty good.  Here is just one of the pictures that my Grandma had us all pose for :)  True to form, they had the pictures developed before they left and my dad brought them over the next day!  My scanner is packed up right now (with pretty much the rest of our upstairs and main level) so I couldn't scan in the other cute pictures, which were some good ones - including one of my Aunt Sandy and Uncle Denny!!!


These were just ones I got off of my camera and were the only 2 I had them take (don't you love the balloons in the background from Katie's wedding shower that Saturday before?)  What a cute family and dogs - I love them!


Love my grandparents so very much and it was nice to have them in Kansas City.  I'm so thankful for all the times we have gotten to spend with them and the wonderful memories we made at their house and farm in Iowa over the years with my cousins and aunts and uncles!  We had some good times.  What's really funny is that all the fun I had at their house with my cousins (playing restaurant and other stuff) is what I see when I play with my nieces and nephews at my in-laws house.  My nieces and nephews recent thing is that we play "hair salon" and they get out a bunch on clips and bows and headbands...oh and don't forget the de-tangling spray...and do my hair.  Not sure why they always ask me, but I am probably the only sucker that is willing to go sit up there.  But it's fun to watch them interact together and play together and I figured out that's why I like hanging out with them....it reminds me of me and my cousins when I was younger and takes me back - to oh-simpler-times :)  Anyone else have those fun things you played that were pretty much imaginary (fake restaurants, hair salons, Barbies - duh, video tape fake TV shows - wait was that just Molly and I?!) with cousins, siblings, neighbors, etc??  So FUN!

And - let's get back to the point of this blog post.  It was SOOOO great to have my grandma, grandpa, Uncle and Aunt here and I hope they had a great time too!  I'm sure we'll be headed back up to Iowa soon to visit again.  In the mean time - I'll leave you with an "after" picture of one of my visits to the Carter hair salon (this was back in the winter)....




No comments:

Post a Comment